Sunday, March 24, 2013

Community Inquiry project reflection



Through the Community Inquiry project I learned some interesting things about my neighborhood. This project has enabled me to learn more about some of my community members on a more personal level. I was also aware of the demographics of my neighborhood after this project. Finally, I learned that there are many different versions of the American dream, depending on who you ask. I learned that although many people have similar American dreams, everyone has a different story, which makes something in their American dream a little bit different from the other.
The end results of my project were definitely different from my blog post proposal results. I thought that there would be no room for doubt that the American dream was present in Beverly. While, that is partially true, I can say that the American dream here is not prevalent in the independent business aspect. In Beverly the majority of our small businesses have closed, and people are afraid to open new ones up. We do not support the small business well, so they end up failing.
I was challenged by this assignment because I have a hard time interviewing people. I do not like to sit down and ask people questions, and so this was a hard thing for me to do. I was also challenged by thinking of ways to have my pictures tell the correct story on the power point.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica!!!
    I really enjoyed your American Dream presentation, you provided a different aspect to it than everyone else because you showed the different ways that the American Dream was both present and not present in Beverly. i think you did a really good job during your presentation, you provided a lot of good information and you seemed confident while you were talking. (:

    ReplyDelete