Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Final Resonse to The Crucible (all acts)



Overall I thought The Crucible was just ok. I expected the ending of the book to be a little bit more dynamic. I thought that it was sad that Proctor died at the end of the story because he did not do the crime he was sentenced to death for. I also found it almost kind of repulsive how Abigail had no remorse for anything she had done. She didn’t even care if she accused her own cousin, Mary Warren, of a crime (punishable by death) if it meant that she could walk away unscathed. I had hoped that Abigail’s lying would come back and destroy her in the end, so it was a little bit disappointing to me that she just ran away, never to be heard from again.  In the epilogue the author said that Abigail was seen as a prostitute in Boston later on. I found that only a little bit ironic due to the crime that she committed (adultery) with Proctor. Something else I found disturbing was how blind to the truth Danforth was. He never realized that people were lying just to save themselves, and that the people who would not confess to witch craft were telling the truth. In the end, the whole community knew the truth, except for Danforth, the only person who decided a person’s fate. The only positive thing I found at the end of the book was that Proctor finally made peace with Elizabeth over the crime he committed, which was a major problem between the two of them throughout the duration of the play. 

Word count: 265

No comments:

Post a Comment